Our Vision and Mission
To be the voice for periodontists as the collaborative partner to achieve optimal oral health
To champion member success and professional partnerships for optimal patient health and quality of life
Approved by the Board of Trustees in February 2016.
- Supports its members by providing resources to enhance successful practice and delivery of effective patient care.
- Believes evidence-based treatment provided by a periodontist helps patients achieve optimal oral and overall health.
- Champions innovative and ethical research to advance the science behind periodontal disease diagnosis and treatment including regeneration and the placement of dental implants.
- Advocates for the specialty within organized dentistry, dental education, and non-dental legislative bodies.
- Educates the public to increase awareness of periodontal disease and the special skills of the periodontist in the treatment of periodontal disease and placement of dental implants.
- Pledges commitment to collaborative positive relationships with general dentists, other dental specialists, registered dental hygienists, and allied healthcare professionals.
- Commits itself to offering continuous education and encourages the unfettered dissemination of knowledge among professionals to expand treatment options and improve public health and safety.
Approved by the Board of Trustees in August 2016.
The below icon depicts the strategic direction of the AAP. Four major priority areas make up the icon including science, awareness, membership, and viability—all of which play a part in advancing the Academy in its mission.
Updated November 2018.