The Academy offers the in-service examination to periodontal programs across North America, so that programs directors and students can evaluate their overall learning acquisition and content-based strengths and developmental areas. The Academy relies on a cadre of highly qualified academicians and researchers to develop the examination content.
The in-service examination is administered annually each spring. For more information, please contact your program director.
2019 Examination Schedule and Application
|Application deadline:||Jan. 18, 2019
Program Information Form to be completed by program director or designee
Resident/Student Exam Application to be completed by resident/student when student is paying exam fee
Resident/Student Exam Application - Fee Paid by Institution to be completed by resident/student when program is paying exam fee
|Exam administration:||Feb. 25 – March 8, 2019
All students at your institution will take the exam on the same day. Please check with your postdoctoral program director to determine the exact day and time the exam will be administered at your institution.
|Open book exams:||March 11, 2019|
The In-Service Examination is an AAP member benefit with non-member premium pricing.
|Student Member rate:||$135|
Residents may become Student members by completing the Student Membership application. We suggest they become Student members by Jan. 2, 2019, so their membership can be processed prior to their examination application.
Apply to take the exam
Program Directors Only
Please complete the Program Information Form.
Student Exam Application
Please select the application that applies to you:
Institution Form (My school is paying for the exam)
Student Form (I will be paying for my own exam)
Studying for the Examination
The Academy provides multiple study resources. Recommended study materials include current literature, past in-service examinations and other documents listed below. The symbol indicates a member only resource.
- 2018 & 2017 In Service Exam questions and answers
- Study Resources
- AAP Position Papers
- Glossary of Periodontal Terms
- Periodontal Literature Reviews
- 2016 In-Service Exam’s Most Frequently Used References and Format for Drug References and Acronyms will be available February 9th
- Journal of Periodontology Annals of Periodontology (Vols. 4-8 Online) and Clinical Advances in Periodontics
- AAP Annual Meeting seminar recordings and videos: Free access through the generous grants from gold sponsor Philips Sonicare. Ask your program director for access.
For More Information